This article shows you how to install the HortonWorks sandox on Oracle’s VM VirtualBox. Hortonworks is a pre-installed Hadoop environment with a lot of associated technologies included. There are a few other player like Cloudera and MapR. If you are interested in the differences between those players and Hortonworks then read experfy.com. The Hortonworks environment that you are going to install will be fully accessable from your Talend Open Studio for Big Data, but first you have to follow the steps below.
1. Install virtualbox
In this “how to” we will use virtualbox, but you could also choose for using VMware or Docker.
- Go to https://www.virtualbox.org/ and press “Download VirtualBox”. The screen might look slightly different in your case but this depends on the moment you’re reading this “how to”.
- Choose the right version for your operating system.
- Install VirtualBox by pressing next/next/next/ok etc.
- You don’t have to start the VirtualBox yet, because you are going to import the Hortonworks sandbox first after downloading.
2. Download and install the HortonWorks sandbox
Make sure you have enough free space available at your local machine because the Hortonbox is about 11 gb big and needs 8gb RAM.
- Open the download and click the import button when your download is finished
- After the import has finished just select the “Hortonworks Docker Sandbox HDP” environment and click the start button
- It took me approximately 15 minutes before I saw the following screen.
- Open your browser and go to http://127.0.0.1:8888
- Explore the Hortonworks Data Platform (make sure you disabled your popup blocker)
- Use maria_dev as username and password
- You will see the Ambari Sandbox
Subscribe to TalendHowTo if you don’t want to miss our next how to’s where we will import data into the Hadoop cluster by using Talend Open Studio for Big Data.